Does my Blog Helps You?

Friday, July 11, 2008

My Experience with GK- script

My experience during 5-day homebuilding program with Gawad Kalinga is far more than what I initially imagined, and what i signed up for.

Before I submit my application, I took time to read the Home Building Program websie and from there I learned what I will expect with this program. On the schedule day to leave Manila to Batangas, I packed my bag with the expectation that we are going to build houses.

We carried rocks, prepared cement and interacted with the beneficiaries. But this did not surprise me for this is very common for what I attended when I was still in school. What really surprised me and perhaps what makes my experience more meaningful was witnessing Trenders from difference countries with difference cultures interacted, working together for a common good.

There were around 25 of us, Trenders from Japan, EMEA, APAC, and Philippines who signed up to build homes. We all accepted the challenge to work outside the office and to work with people we have not met. Yet during the build, we were able to work effectively. We did not ask anyone to do anything but we were able to work together. People volunteered and everyone was just but willing to do anything to see the GK houses ready to use.

After the trip, we volunteers exchanges emails and from there I found out that other Trenders who joined the program are directors or managers from other region. However during the program I did not feel that they were different or special.This made me appreciate the culture we have inside the office -- no matter where a Trender goes, a Trender will always carry a humble heart. And when called into action, a Trender regardless of his/her nationality or culture will always be willing to help and get things done.

2 comments:

Jamo said...

meaningful life ang tinatahak mo kapatid, keep on going. Pakikamusta mo na lamang ako sa kumpare kong si tony meloto, ehehehehe.

ciao.

Anonymous said...

thanks jamo